Following on from the success of our Spanish Summer School last year, we ran a French one for 3 days in August, aimed at Year 5 and 6 students with no or little prior knowledge of the language – although there were a few who had already learnt much of what we covered.
We covered Greetings, How you are and Names in the morning. Each pair of attendees had the use of an iPad, which we used initially as an expensive mini-whiteboard using the free app Doodle Buddy, to write answers on. Having used mini-whiteboards as a teacher, it soon became clear that the iPads have the advantage of being much cleaner and avoiding the problem of pens running out of ink all the time.
At the end of the morning, students then created a comic strip using all the language learnt, using the Strip Designer app on the iPad (which we called Pow! due to the icon used). This costs £1.79 but is worth it, as creating comic strips is really easy to do, using images from My Photos. The students used aliens for the characters in their strip, created using the Martian app. This is another free app to create your own alien, choosing colour, body shape, number of legs etc (ideal for teaching body parts!)
You can then take a screen shot of the finished martian (hold down the home and power button) which automatically goes into My Photos. I also used this app to create a unique lock screen for each iPad so the students knew which was theirs for the week.
Once these had been finished the attendees recorded a short piece of French on mp3 recorders to add to a Voki, using French names picked from a list rather than their own. Some of them used Audacity to edit their voice. Unfortunately I’ve not managed to embed the results here.
After lunch we looked at some French-speaking countries and how to say where you lived. Everyone then used Animoto to create a short slideshow about a country.
Unfortunately this was quite a frustrating day with regard to the technology, as our broadband connection was running very slowly and some Vokis were lost when the website froze. Other computers wouldn’t connect to the network or kept crashing, and by the end of the day I remembered why a lot of teachers don’t use computers in the classroom. Still it was worth it in the end.
In the morning we did colours and because some students had already learnt them I did a bit on adjectival agreement too, in order for them to create a poster using the Moodboard Lite app (free) with French sentences describing images found on the internet. The Moodboard app was created for designers, artists etc but I liked it for the colours posters because one of the features was the ability to create a colour palette. The students used the Collins French dictionary app to look up any words they didn’t know. This was the £5.99 version, and although there was a cheaper one, this had a good balance of detail in the entries whilst still being simple enough for learners of this age.
I’ve always noticed that children find it difficult to use a dictionary properly for a foreign language and so I spent a little time talking them through the process and explaining what some of the abbreviations meant. The novelty of the iPads certainly seemed to motivate them more than using a paper version.
The rest of the morning was spent learning numbers 1-20, and we used the noughts and crosses background in Doodle Buddy to play bingo. Each child then planned a short stop-motion animation using some of the language learnt so far, using plasticine for characters and I Can Animate software.
The students spent the morning editing their animations using Windows Movie Maker, adding voiceovers and titles.
We then covered some basic weather vocabulary with the aim of creating weather forecasts in front of the green screen. Unfortunately we were running out of time so I gave the attendees the choice of how to create their weather-based presentations – using Voki, Animoto, Strip Designer, or filming it and editing in Windows Movie Maker. The groups that filmed their weather forecast used the free app iPrompt Pro as a scrolling script to read from on the iPads. It is a little complicated to use, as you have to fiddle with the settings to get the script to scroll slowly enough, but worth it to avoid the children clutching a bits of paper, and typing in the script reinforced the language.
All of the work created over the 3 days was eventually uploaded to our French Summer School blog, which was set up using Posterous. I still really like this platform as it is so simple to use, and presents the work really nicely (for example multiple photos get put into a gallery).
In all it was a very successful 3 days. I was really pleased with how well the iPads worked aspart of the classroom-type activities. Originally I had seen them very much as something students would use for reference and for passive skills (i.e. reading/listening), but there are enough free/cheap apps out there for creating work too, although we didn’t do any audio recording directly on the iPads. I shall try to do a separate post detailing all of the useful apps I found for MFL work.
One last issue presented itself with the iPads, and that was transferring all of the images of the work the students did onto my computer. The photos don’t get synched through iTunes, but when you plug the iPad in, the PC sees it as a camera, and if you double click on the icon that appears in My Computer you can see all of the photos saved on the device and transfer them as you wish.
You can hear me talk about the French and last year’s Spanish summer school in a podcast published on Joe Dale’s Integrating ICT into the Modern Languages Classroom blog.