This term we have big plans for a cross-curricular music project with Valley Park Primary School. It began with the purchase of our Nintendo Wiis, including the Wii Music software, and was inspired by the work done by Ollie Bray in Scotland using Guitar Hero as a starting point for transition work (see article here).
Two year 6 classes are spending a morning at the CLC over 5 weeks this term and will be completing some or all of the following:
- Writing and recording a song based on work they are currently doing at school.
- Creating a music video using the Green Screen, animation, photos etc to accompany the song.
- Designing a CD cover, posters and any other merchandise for the video.
- Planning a European Tour for the musicians, researching transport (including carbon footprint), languages spoken and interesting facts about the cities to be visited.
- Learning about sound and pitch to fit in with science work.
- Reporting on the work being done and contributing to a project blog.
- And if there’s time – learning to play a few instruments on the Wii!
We’re very excited about the whole thing, and hope the pupils will be too. I’ll be updating the blog with our progress as the term goes on.